Slum2School Africa, seeks an experienced Chief Operations Officer (“COO”) with a track record of transformational leadership, proven experience in driving growth and achieving innovative impact, to partner with the Executive Director, and Senior Level Management on all major initiatives, including the upcoming development activity.
Working from our headquarters in Lagos, Nigeria, the COO is responsible for enhancing Slum2School’s operating capacity and strategy execution as the organization transitions into a more robust Pan-African organization that will play a larger leadership role in the education sector through policy formulation, government engagement and educational support.
The COO will be charged with aligning Slum2School’s internal processes with success to ensure that Slum2School’s management and staff can support its strategic direction and growth, with high productivity and optimism about setting and meeting future goals.
The COO will be unrelenting about promoting and implementing processes and procedures that improve Slum2School’s financial health, program success and overall efficiency.
The Ideal Candidate
The COO will work to implement strategy and vision, build the Slum2School Africa’s culture, and serve as a key member of the senior management team. The COO will work systematically to meet Slum2School’s goals by addressing key staffing, process and infrastructure issues.
The COO will take Slum2School’s priorities and direction and translate them into day-to-day standard operating procedures. He or she will monitor and assess ongoing strategies, conduct midcourse corrections and generally keep the senior leadership team informed of Slum2School’s operations, including how its finances, technology, staffing relate to important goals. The COO will offer oversight to hiring, and will partner with the Head of Finance to prepare budgets and forecasts and will play a formative role in building the culture of Slum2School around community service, accountability and results. The COO provides oversight for the training, mentoring and capacity building at Slum2School. He or she will be an internal advocate for efficiency, productivity and professional development.
The COO will:
- Serve as second-in-command to the Executive Director and as a member of the Senior Management Team;
- Provide cross-departmental direction and leadership for staff management and program development.
- Establish efficient internal structure and processes required to meet objectives and manage day-to-day operations including program tracking, program evaluation and communication.
- Participate in the strategic planning process and oversee all operations daily and report directly to the ED, ensuring that all programs and organizational operations are smooth and efficient.
- Provide oversight for Slum2School’s budget, development and external relations activities;
- Create an environment of teamwork, appreciation and recognition
- Run internal staff meetings including preparing agendas and troubleshooting internal management issues.
- Work with the Administrative Department to manage human resources including establishing and determining employee benefits, internal policies, hiring, drafting of job descriptions, performance reviews, and payroll.
- Assist the ED, Head of Finance and Head of Partnerships and Fundraising in the development of sustainable financial management and reporting strategies and in the refinement of a set of management metrics to predict outcomes.
- Identify opportunities for organizational and programmatic growth.
- Build and cultivate a high-performing senior management team and play an active role in attracting, retaining and developing a best-in-class staff;
- Identify and implement cost-effective ways to deliver state-of-the-art programs to clients;
- Participate in identifying and cultivating corporate, individual and international sponsors;
- Cultivate excellent relationships with local/International media; provide oversight for Slum2School’s presence in the media;
- Work collaboratively with the ED, Board/Board Committees, to ensure that Board goals filter into day-to-day management;
- Serve as a public representative of Slum2School, in the absence of the ED, keeping Slum2School current and an active participant in regional and community events.
The successful candidate will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Enthusiasm for Slum2School’s mission and an unwavering commitment to making Slum2School a high-performing Pan-African Development organization.
- 5+ years of operational, senior level management and financial management experience in a for-profit business or relevant non-profit organization.
- MBA or relevant graduate degree in management, public administration, education administration, or a related field.
- Self-starter who takes initiative, using sound, independent judgment and discretion and seeks guidance and feedback where appropriate – a doer as well as a manager.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; highly organized with concern for detail and a commitment to rigor.
- Demonstrated experience with scaling up organizational programs and infrastructure.
- Experience with creating and leading a diverse and energetic staff, including an ability to motivate individuals and foster team spirit.
- Knowledge of human resources and experience setting individual and team performance goals and evaluating their execution.
- Knowledge of risk-management and the ability to develop effective risk-management strategies.
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art organizational development tools.
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to manage multiple teams, departments and projects simultaneously.
- Professionalism, empathy, and the ability to work as part of a team, maintain a sense of humor, and interact with a diverse array of people from all walks of life.
The COO reports to the Executive Director and indirectly to the Governance Board. 70% of the Middle level managers, heads of departments and executives report first to the COO. As such, the COO serves as the liaison between operational and programs staff and the Executive Director.
About Slum2School Africa
We are a volunteer driven development organization who has taken the lead in transforming the lives of children and youths across underserved communities on the African continent through the provision of various educational development programs, state of the art learning facilities, infusion 21st century technology and vocational development, as well as educational scholarships into primary schools, secondary schools and universities.
In 9 years, global impact has been realized through our core strategic scholarship and support programs.
The members of our team possess a range of skills, interests, and expertise that enable them to take responsibility for aggressive personal and organizational growth, the conceptualization, development, and implementation of new and emerging programs, identification and securing of diverse funding sources, and the recruitment, welfare, and retention of top-tier professionals who align with our vision and mission.
They have a firm belief and commitment to our vision and key into scaling our projects and programs to new territories while building efficient sustainable systems and we welcome you to join our team.