Communication Management is an aspect of Slum2School responsible for ensuring timely and effective internal and external communications. This aspect of the organization ensures relevant content direction and strategy implementation that realizes key communication and fundraising objectives through strategic communications with all stakeholders as well as targeted media campaigns.
The Ideal Candidate
The Communications Manager is a content marketing expert who will be responsible for planning, implementing, managing and monitoring Slum2School’s media and communications/content marketing strategy geared towards increasing brand awareness, local and global positioning of the Slum2School brand through authentic storytelling, meeting the necessary fundraising targets through tailored media marketing campaigns and relevant conversions in other Slum2School campaigns.
He/She has a keen interest, skill, and expertise in creative storytelling and design campaigns, and will establish effective communication channels with all departmental/project managers to stay abreast happenings within the organization for necessary concept development and strategy implementation.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for:
- Creating compelling and targeted content for the Slum2School brand across necessary platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube, Blog/Website, Google, etc.)
- Building (grow) and managing Slum2School’s community across media platforms
- Providing strategy for Slum2School’s visual storytelling unit
- Liaising with external media houses (print, editorial, electronic, etc.) to strengthen and improve brand awareness, visibility, and program/campaign results
- Managing Slum2School’s internal communication (memos, email updates to volunteers, etc.)
- Managing external communications with stakeholders (email updates to stakeholders)
- Ensuring optimization of all Slum2School’s content for global reach and visibility
- Developing copies, press releases, strategy for successful fundraising campaigns, recruitment campaigns or any campaigns run by the organization
- Running targeted email campaigns, digital ads, to meet the organization’s fundraising goals
- Monthly reports and assessments of strategies, outcomes, impact of media and communication strategies
- Liaising with volunteer teams in the Brand Management, Media & Communications Department to deliver on the goals for the department
- Collating content and publishing Slum2School’s Annual Report
The successful candidate will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Effective brand communicator; especially for non-profit organizations
- Proven record as an effective content marketer
- Strong portfolio in creative content creation and visual storytelling
- Minimum of 2 years – 4 years experience as a communications/media manager (or a similar role)/or a strong portfolio as proof of impact realized in the required role
- Understanding of the Slum2School Brand
- Passion for creative storytelling
- Email Marketing Skills
- Proven Digital Marketing Skills
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Skills
- Data Analytical Skills (E.g. Google analytics, social media, etc)
- Time Management Skills
- Reporting, writing and proofreading skills
- Ability to take initiative
- Good team player and ability to lead a team.
- Ability to use Lightroom, presets, relevant editing applications and technologies
- Use of Canva, coreldraw, Photoshop adobe and other applications for graphic designs is a plus
The Communications Manager reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO)
About Slum2School Africa
We are a volunteer driven development organization who has taken the lead in transforming the lives of children and youths across underserved communities on the African continent through the provision of various educational development programs, state of the art learning facilities, infusion 21st century technology and vocational development, as well as educational scholarships into primary schools, secondary schools and universities.
In 9 years, global impact has been realized through our core strategic scholarship and support programs.
The members of our team possess a range of skills, interests, and expertise that enable them to take responsibility for aggressive personal and organizational growth, the conceptualization, development, and implementation of new and emerging programs, identification and securing of diverse funding sources, and the recruitment, welfare, and retention of top-tier professionals who align with our vision and mission.
They have a firm belief and commitment to our vision and key into scaling our projects and programs to new territories while building efficient sustainable systems and we welcome you to join our team.