Slum2school Africa (S2S) is a leading volunteer driven development organization providing deserving children in slums and remote communities in Nigeria with access to quality education and empowering them to achieve their full potential. The organization is dedicated to meeting the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 4 and the furtherance of education development. Our innovative interventions have enabled our impact to grow rapidly in 8 years, reaching over 108,500 children directly across 42 underserved communities in Nigeria.
- Provides overall leadership at a strategic and state level for the program, and ensures that S2S vision and overall program goals are met.
- Work closely with UNICEF, SUBEB, MoE, local implementing partners, and other stakeholders, to ensure that the programme goals are achieved. Specific areas of concern are to facilitate the access to quality education opportunity for children, provision of learning kits to support children learning outcomes, capacity building to teachers and SBMC members.
- Contributes to designing programmes and writing proposals for new or ongoing projects in line with S2S goals and strategic directions.
- For purposes of ensuring healthy collaboration between S2S work and other projects or initiatives in the state, the Program Officer will actively participate in education-related activities and meetings, and will also seek active collaboration with other players working in the education sector.
Key Areas of Accountability
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, and in close coordination with the Field team
Programme development and Implementation:
- Lead the implementation of S2S education project activities in the state and in host communities
- Work with communities and stakeholders across the states to strengthen education, establish a community education committee in project locations to support the process.
- Identify critical program gaps and vulnerabilities, and clarify roles, responsibilities and accountabilities to effectively address those gaps
- Ensure quality in the programme by building capacity of the local staff and teachers through training in pedagogy, psychosocial support, life skills, safeguarding etc.
- Provide guidance to field-based education team on common standards, innovative strategies and approaches which ensure a capacity to address S2S Commitments for Children in Emergencies, and reflect good practice in emergency education responses
- Line management of the education project staff, volunteers and program facilitators
- Prepare performance objectives together with program staff and give the necessary feedback, follow up and support to improve staff performance.
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Development of appropriate and effective program monitoring systems to enable assessment of both the emergency response process and impact and to ensure delivery of results for children
- Prepare implementation reports, weekly, monthly or other periodical reports for S2S and funding partners
- Reporting on progress and documentation of best practices
- Support in development of communication materials, case studies and blogs.
Coordination and Networking:
- Working closely with the program manager to develop partnerships to leverage resources and ensure adequate funding consistent with S2S resource mobilisation strategy and emergency response plans
- Education advocacy activities
- Represent S2S programme in the coordination at state level; represent S2S at the State Education Sector Working Group meetings , working closely with UNICEF, MOE, SUBEB among others, to address issues related to strategic planning, roles and responsibilities of sector partners, and joint advocacy
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Experience on donor funded projects particularly UN organizations
Experience managing relationships with public sector and community stakeholders
Fluency in Hausa language
At least 2 year’s experience managing education development activities preferably in Northern Nigeria
Experience in Monitoring and evaluation
Knowledge of procedures related to institutional donors (UN agencies,)
Postgraduate degree in education development
Project management certification
About Slum2School Africa
We are a volunteer driven development organization who has taken the lead in transforming the lives of children and youths across underserved communities on the African continent through the provision of various educational development programs, state of the art learning facilities, infusion 21st century technology and vocational development, as well as educational scholarships into primary schools, secondary schools and universities.
In 9 years, global impact has been realized through our core strategic scholarship and support programs.
The members of our team possess a range of skills, interests, and expertise that enable them to take responsibility for aggressive personal and organizational growth, the conceptualization, development, and implementation of new and emerging programs, identification and securing of diverse funding sources, and the recruitment, welfare, and retention of top-tier professionals who align with our vision and mission.
They have a firm belief and commitment to our vision and key into scaling our projects and programs to new territories while building efficient sustainable systems and we welcome you to join our team.