The Communications Manager is responsible for planning, implementing, managing, and monitoring Slum2School’s media and communications/content marketing strategy geared towards increasing brand awareness, local and global positioning of the Slum2School brand through authentic storytelling, meeting the necessary fundraising targets through tailored media marketing campaigns and relevant conversions in other Slum2School campaigns.
The Communication Manager is responsible for creative storytelling and design campaigns, establishing effective communication channels with all departmental/project managers to stay abreast of happenings within the organization for necessary concept development and strategy implementation.
The Media and Communications Manager will:
- Create compelling and targeted content for the Slum2School brand across necessary platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube, Blog/Website, Google, etc.)
- Building (grow) and managing Slum2School’s community across media platforms
- Providing strategy for Slum2School’s visual storytelling unit
- Liaising with external media houses (print, editorial, electronic, etc.) to strengthen and improve brand awareness, visibility, and program/campaign results
- Managing Slum2School’s internal communication (memos, email updates to volunteers, etc.)
- Managing external communications with stakeholders (email updates to stakeholders)
- Ensuring the optimization of all Slum2School’s content for global reach and visibility
- Developing copies, press releases, strategies for successful fundraising campaigns, recruitment campaigns, or any campaigns run by the organization
- Running targeted email campaigns, digital ads, to meet the organization’s fundraising goals
- Monthly reports and assessments of strategies, outcomes, the impact of media, and communication strategies
- Liaising with volunteer teams in the Brand Management, Media & Communications Department to deliver on the goals for the department.
- Collating content and publishing Slum2School’s Annual Report
- The successful candidate will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in journalism, communications, English, or other related areas.
- 3 – 5 years of experience in a related role.
- Proven record of public relations or social media engagement in a for-profit or nonprofit organization.
- Proven record of leadership skills at a mid or senior organizational level.
- Passion and Enthusiasm for Slum2School’s mission and an unwavering commitment to making Slum2School a high-performing Pan-African Development organization.
- Interest and/or previous experience in the NGO or development sector.
- Exceptional strategic planning abilities, attention to detail, and delivery.
- Self-starter who takes initiative, uses sound, independent judgment, and discretion, and seeks guidance and feedback where appropriate – a doer as well as a manager.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; highly organized with concern for detail and a commitment to rigor.
- Experience with creating and leading a diverse and energetic staff, including an ability to motivate individuals and foster team spirit.
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to manage teams, departments, and projects simultaneously.
- Professionalism, empathy, and the ability to work as part of a team, maintain a sense of humor, and interact with a diverse array of people from all walks of life.
- Strong relationship, people, and communication management skills
- Reporting Relationships:
- The Media and Communications Manager will report to the Head of Operations
About Slum2School Africa
We are a volunteer-driven development organization that has taken the lead in transforming the lives of children and youths across underserved communities on the African continent through the provision of various educational development programs, state of the art learning facilities, infusion of 21st-century technology and vocational development, as well as educational scholarships into primary schools, secondary schools, and universities.
In 10 years, global impact has been realized through our core strategic scholarship and support programs.
The members of our team possess a range of skills, interests, and expertise that enable them to take responsibility for aggressive personal and organizational growth, the conceptualization, development, and implementation of new and emerging programs, identification and securing of diverse funding sources, and the recruitment, welfare, and retention of top-tier professionals who align with our vision and mission.
They have a firm belief and commitment to our vision and are key to scaling our projects and programs to new territories while building efficient sustainable systems and we welcome you to join our team.